- Make it Classy DIY Beauty is the brain child of ClassyCurlies, a black woman-owned and operated blog! You can find anything from curly hair advice to DIY beauty to social media management + consulting! Victoria is a POWERHOUSE.
- If you know me, you know that I am all about skincare! As a makeup artist, the number one way to have good looking makeup is to have healthy, well-taken care of skin. There is no arguing that. Makeup can only cover so much. And for my non-makeup wearers- there’s nowhere for you to hide! Your skin will tell ALL ya business- poor diet, stress, you name it. It be your own skin clocking you SMH. 😂
- PLANT. BASED.
- The beauty/skincare industry is great, but it’s not accessible to everyone. Finding skincare that is free of chemicals that can do more harm than good for your skin is not necessarily hard, but it can be expensive. It shouldn’t be difficult to take care of your skin, and it isn’t! It’s about having the knowledge to do it your own way in line with your budget!
- Taking the DIY approach to skincare is great for folks who want to up their self-care game. It takes time to make whatever product you are going to use, and it’s easy to turn that into a little ritual. Put on some music, light a candle, maybe take a bath. Showing yourself a little TLC can be a game changer, y’all!
What comes in the box?
The box comes with all of the ingredients you need to make, mix, and store your product along with a recipe card with instructions on it. On the recipe card, there is also a QR code that you can scan to access an instructional video + audio track! There are currently 3 options: The Loyal Leah Clay Hair + Face Mask, Romantic Rosie Rose Water, and Herbal Ebony Herbal Hair Rinse. Also, (if you didn’t notice) each of the DIY kits are named after women!
How does it work?
1. Choose your DIY beauty box based on the recipe you’d like to create.
2. Add to cart and checkout.
3. You’ll receive your box in the mail along with a recipe card and ingredients to create that DIY beauty product.
Each box comes with free shipping in the US!
So, what’s the tea?
I really enjoyed using the Loyal Leah Clay Hair + Face Mask, but I have a few notes from my personal experience.
I recently moved to the desert, so my hair is very dry. I need every ounce of moisture that I can get, and my hair really isn’t oily AT ALL to begin with. I like the mask a lot, and would definitely use it if I had any sort of buildup but not otherwise. If you have a dry scalp, I’d say you could skip out on this one OR do it right before a deep condition. It’s so lovely for the face, though. It smells good, and it’s more gentle than some other clay masks I’ve tried. My skin felt really clean and soft after. Side note: I always exfoliate pre-mask so that the mask is working on my skin NOT my dead skin cells. The ingredients make a ton of product and keep in the fridge for 2-3 weeks with a lid on. I’ve done the face mask 2x and the hair mask 1x and will get a few more face masks out of it before it’s gone!
So, the cons. My biggest problem with this concept is that it’s pricey. For pre-orders, this mask is on sale for $48.00. It’s regularly priced at $55.00. It makes a LOT of product, but for $48.00, you could buy these ingredients in bulk. Do understand that you’re paying for ethically sourced high quality ingredients, correct portioning, storage, specially curated recipes, ALLADAT. So, I’m not saying that it’s not worth it. I’m saying that if you can’t afford it, then try using the ClassyCurlies resources online instead. I love that Victoria is expanding the kinds of resources she offers. Like I said- POWERHOUSE.
My official opinion is that this is an excellent introduction to the world of DIY beauty. I would buy this for my mom or any friend/family member that I’ve been desperately trying to get to schedule a little “me time” for themselves. This is the perfect gift (and gentle motivation) for someone special.